When it comes to beauty and hair care, the most effective solutions are the little things we overlook. We have gotten used to the fancy products in the supermarket and their smart marketing skills, however, what you need to fix your hair problem is sitting in your kitchen.
Rice water is the milky, starchy water you get when you leave the rice to soak or after it is cooked. And for many years back, this water has been used to beautify and strengthen hair. The practice of using rice water for hair dates back to many centuries ago, in Japan, Asia.
According to history, women in the Heian time had very long hair, and this hair been made strong and healthy with rice water. Also, in China, the Yao women in a Huangluo village had healthy and long hair they hair also did not turn grey until they were very old and this was also attributed to the use of rice water.
How does rice water have the power to do this? Rice has a lot of nutrients in it; amino acids, vitamin E, minerals, Vitamins B, and antioxidants. Rice grain is 75- 80% starch, when rice is soaked or cooked, the starch separates into the water, hence, the water gets to have in it many of the vitamins and other nutrients that rice has. Rice water also contains traces of potassium, magnesium, zinc, iodine, selenium, manganese, and fiber- all of which can contribute to hair care and growth.
How Does Rice Water Benefit The Hair?
- Rice water contains a carbohydrate known as inositol; this carbohydrate is notable for the repair of damaged hair. Inositol stays longer in the hair, even after the rice water has been rinsed, and acts as a shield to protect the hair from damage.
- Rice water contains vitamins and other beneficial nutrients and these nourish the hair follicles. It also improves the overall condition of the hair and promotes hair growth.
- In the process of fermenting rice water, a substance known as “pitera” is formed and this substance is rich in vitamins, minerals, organic acids, and amino acids. All of which benefits the hair. It is also known to keep the hair healthy and regenerate cells.
- Rice water is acidic and when it is applied to the hair or used to wash the hair, it balances and restores the pH of the hair.
- Rice water is filled with amino acids that increase the hair volume, make the hair smooth and strengthens the hair roots, and discourages split ends.
The benefits of rice water are not limited to the ones listed here, there are other benefits of rice water to the hair, that has not been scientifically proven.
2 Quick Methods To Get Rice Water
- Boiling: A known way to get rice water for your hair is by taking out the excess water in your rice after it is cooked. By this time, the liquid is concentrated and can be used for your rice. You simply have to add more amount of water to cook your rice, than the usual amount you would use.
- Fermentation: This is the process of letting the rice water ferment for a long period, before use. Add a cup of rice to at least, two cups of water. Let it sit for 30 minutes and drain it off. Pour the liquid into a jar and leave it for a minimum of two days, when you notice it is beginning to have a sour smell, move the jar into the fridge. Add some water before you use it.
How To Use Rice Water For Hair
Rice water is best used in place of a conditioner for a more effective result.
How To Use
- Wash your hair with shampoo and rinse with water.
- Damp the hair and pour the rice water into your hair.
- Gently massage the rice water into your hair and scalp
- Leave it on for 15-20 minutes
- Rinse off with warm water.
Can I leave rice water in my hair?
For full benefits, you should leave rice water in your hair for 30 minutes and you can also leave it overnight to enable it to moisturize your strands deeply. Rice water should not be left in your hair as leave-in as too much rice water can cause protein overload.
Can I use rice water and deep conditioner?
Rice water can easily be used to replace a deep conditioner. However, if you choose to ferment your rice water then it is not recommended to add it to a deep conditioner.
Does rice water grow new hair?
Yes, rice water does not just make your hair strand more healthy but it improves hair growth as well. It helps in the regeneration of hair and aids faster growth as well.
Do you put rice water on wet or dry hair?
Rice water is effective on dry and wet hair. It nourishes wet hair better due to the effective penetration of vitamins into the scalp and hair structure. For a conditioning effect, apply to wet clean hair, massage and rinse after 10 to 15 minutes.
Can I spray rice water on braided hair?
No, you shouldn’t spray your braids with rice water as this can be hard to wash off, unlike natural hair. However, the fermented rice water can be used on your braids as a spray to restore your hair’s health.
Can I mix aloe vera gel with rice water?
Yes, aloe vera gel and rice water is used as a natural remedy for getting rid of dandruff. Mix both wells and make a paste to be used as a hair mask and washed thoroughly.
Can you put rice water in a spray bottle?
Yes, you can put rice water in a spray bottle and the easiest way to get the rice water is by soaking. Rice water can be used as a daily hair mask mixed with your favorite essential oil for added benefits.
Can you use any type of rice for rice water?
Yes, you can definitely use any type of rice for rice water; White rice, basmati rice, brown rice, wild rice, jasmine organic rice, etc. All you need to ensure is to wash the rice to get rid of dirt and impurities.
How long can you keep rice water?
Rice water should be stored in a jar, vessel, or bottle at room temperature and in a dry place and it can be stored for 4 to 5 days.
How often can I use rice water on my hair?
If your hair is protein sensitive then a weekly rinse will suffice however it is best to do a patch test before committing to weekly use of rice water. You don’t need to change your washing schedule around rice water, simply use it after shampooing and conditioning.
Rice water is probably the most efficient product to use for your hair, it not only benefits your hair but also comes with little or no side effects. Rice water is not only known for hair care but has also been found to work well for skin health. it is important to know that some of the benefits of rice water have not been scientifically proven.