Dying your hair can look cool and it gives your face a new look. However, if you have dyed your hair before, then you will agree with us that it can also leave your hair dry, cause hair breakage, and split ends. Hence while you enjoy the feel of new hair color, your hair can become very unhealthy. To avoid this, you must find healthy ways to care for your hair even when it is dyed.
While a lot of professional hairstylists will recommend products that deep conditions the hair to restore its natural oil, many people may not be able to afford these products, because most of them are expensive. So, what do you do?
Natural oils are great many of them are more effective, easy to find, and affordable than some of the products recommended. One such oil is coconut oil. Coconut oil is filled with essential fatty acids and vitamins that are very beneficial to hair care and growth. Coconut oil restores the natural oil that was lost in the hair, it cures dandruff, it also nourishes the scalp, and penetrates through the hair cuticle; it is regarded as magic oil.
Should You Use Coconut Oil After Dyeing Your Hair?
Yes. Coconut oil is beneficial to all types of hair; dry, weak, and even colored hair. Coconut oil serves as a counteracts to the effects of the chemicals present in hair dye. It nourishes the hair, leaves the hair soft and shiny, doesn’t fade the color, repairs damages, and keeps the hair healthy. You can apply coconut oil as you would apply to the leave-in conditioner. However, this claim can differ for some people, depending on their hair type.
To be on the safe side, it is always best to use coconut oil on your hair, before dyeing your hair. Here are some of the reasons you should do so.
1. Coconut Oil Has Antioxidant And Antibacterial Properties.
Coconut oil has antioxidant and antibacterial properties and adding it to your hair, the night or day before dying will help the hair to build a defense against bleach. it will also protect the scalp from peroxide that is found in dye
2. Contains Fatty Acids
Coconut oil contains certain fatty acids that restore and promotes protein structure in your hair. Adding coconut oil before dyeing your hair will enrich your hair enough to prevent it from damages or dryness
3. Affordable And Effective
Regardless of how effective hair products claim to be, natural oil tops the game in caring for your hair and keeping it healthy. They are cheap, easy to find, and can serve a lot of purposes.
4. Speeds Up The Dyeing Process
Coconut oil can speed up the dyeing process. Also, you can be sure your hair won’t fade after the dyeing process.
How to apply coconut oil before you dye your hair
- Apply coconut oil to your hair, you can do this the night before you color your hair. Make sure you get oil down to the roots and also to your scalp.
- Cover your hair with a shower cap and let the coconut oil sit into the hair.
- In the morning, do not wash or rinse your hair, just go to your salon to get your hair colored. If you want to do it yourself, apply the bleach or dye to the coconut layered oil. You may also be required to use more dye because of the coconut oil in your hair.
- Follow the instruction on the bleach you purchased and once you are done, rinse the hair dye and the coconut oil off your hair
How to apply coconut oil after you have dyed your hair
- Rinse off the bleach or dye left in your hair,
- Take some coconut oil and massage it into your hair. Make sure the oil gets to every part of your hair, including your scalp.
- Cover with a shower cap and let it sit in for 2-3 hours.
- Wash hair with a mild shampoo and rinse off with cold water.
Coconut oil is great for most types of hair, regardless of what your hair has been through. If you are unsure about using coconut oil after dyeing your hair, you should put it before. It works great either way.