It is every woman’s dream to have even, flawless skin. Unfortunately dark, uneven skin is an issue a lot of women have to deal with. The skin colour of every person is determined by the amount of melanin produced by melanocyte cells in the body.
The less melanin pigment your body produces, the lighter you become, while for some, the more melanin pigment is produced in their body, the darker they are, while this is natural and beautiful.
Other factors can lead to dark spots, uneven skin, and darkness on your skin. Factors like long exposure to the sun, unhealthy diet, chemical cosmetics, free radicals from the environment, hormones, etc.
The most available remedy in our environment for these are usually chemical cosmetics, however, these cosmetics cause more harm than good, affecting the skin and other parts of the body. So what do you trust to fix the damages on your skin? You guess right! Natural oils!
A lot of natural oils are filled with properties and vitamins that easily heals the skin, helps the skin fight infections, stops damages caused by chemicals or environmental pollution.
One of these natural oils is coconut oil!
Over the years, lots of people have sworn by the effects of coconut oil on skin lightening. Not just that, looking at the properties and nutrients of coconut oil, it is without a doubt that it is enriched with skin lightening effects.
Nutrients, Properties, And Benefits Of Coconut Oil For Skin Lightening
- The coconut oil is rich in fats- which is mainly saturated fats 70%. The saturated fats are made up of smaller molecules which are known as fatty acids. The predominant form of fatty acid in coconut oil is known as lauric acid taking a space of about 47-49%. Also, there are caprylic, capric acids in smaller quantities. The lauric, caprylic, and capric acids in the coconut oil possess antibacterial, antifungal, and anti-inflammatory properties, all of which help the immune system fight against causes of infection and irritation on the skin.
- Coconut oil is known to help reduce inflammation on the skin
- It contains vitamin E- alpha-tocopherol, although in a small quantity, alpha-tocopherol is a type of antioxidant, it protects the skin from free radicals by preventing cell damages. It also helps the skin generate new and healthy cells.
- Coconut oil can penetrate deep into the skin layers and clear the skin infections underneath. Most of these skin infections contribute to uneven skin tones. It heals and clears scars that may also be the cause of uneven skin tone.
There are so many ways to make use of coconut oil for skin lightening, while some people can be patient with using organic coconut oil alone, some are not and they want their result fast. Either way is fine, as long as it works for you.
7 Ways to Use Coconut Oil For Skin Lightening
We’ll be walking you through 7 tested and trusted ways to make use of coconut oil for skin lightening, this way you can choose which is nearest to you and what you know will work best for you.
1. Massage Your Skin With Extra Virgin Coconut Oil
The coconut oil can be applied alone on your skin. It can be applied morning or night, it is however best used when you are indoor.
How to use
- Put some coconut oil on your hand.
- Apply gently on your skin or the uneven part of your skin.
- Massage for a few minutes, this is to allow penetration
- If you’ll be leaving on your face through the night, you can wash it off in the morning.
- Continue the process until you see your desired result.
2. Coconut Oil With Turmeric
Turmeric is a spice that is mostly known for cooking. It is from the ginger family and widely used in Asia. Although known for cooking. Turmeric is known to have anti-inflammatory properties. It clears acne, treats various skin diseases, and yes! It helps lighten uneven skin tone.
The active ingredient CURCUMIN in turmeric reduces excess production of melanin which in turn brightens scars and uneven skin tone. Adding turmeric to your coconut oil can help hasten the work of the coconut oil in lightening your skin. This way, you get to enjoy the properties of these two natural ingredients.
How to use
- Take 1/4 teaspoon of turmeric powder, 1 teaspoon of raw honey, 1 tablespoon of coconut oil, and 2 tablespoons of flour.
- Mix all these ingredients until smooth.
- Apply the mask all over the face as much as it takes and leave it for 15-20 minutes.
- Wipe it off with a warm wet cloth, then use cold water to wash your face to close the opened skin pores.
- Continue to repeat until you get your result.
3. Coconut Oil, Lemon, And Honey
Lemon juice is a natural fruit known for its antimicrobial effects, a new treatment, and lightening of the skin and hair!
How to use
- Mix some drops of fresh lemon juice into 2 tablespoons of virgin coconut oil.
- Mix it properly and apply it on your clean face, using cotton wool or your finger at night before bedtime.
- Leave it for about 15 – 20 minutes and rinse it off with lukewarm water.
- Continue applying the mix until you have your desired result.
4. Coconut Oil, Lemon, And Flour
When it comes to skin, lemon can be of great help. Flour has certain properties that treat acne and has been used for centuries in getting rid of dark spots on the skin. Using this as a face mask can help fight off skin problems.
How to use
- Mix some drops of fresh lemon juice into 2 tablespoons of virgin coconut oil and one tablespoon of flour
- Mix thoroughly and apply to your face.
- Leave it on for 10-15 minutes and wash off the face with lukewarm water.
- Apply constantly until the desired result.
5. Coconut Oil And Lemon
Lemon juice and coconut oil when combined helps protect the skin from sun damages and noted to be quite effective for skin lightening.
How to use
- Mix some drops of lemon juice and two spoonfuls of coconut oil.
- Mix ingredients thoroughly, preferably with a spoon.
- Apply the lotion to the desired region
- Leave for 10- 15 minutes, then rinse with lukewarm water.
- Repeat until you begin to see your desired result.
6. Coconut Oil, Baking Soda, Tree Oil, And Lemon Juice
Here is the most recommended combination for skin lightening during a warmer climate. Both baking soda and tree oil has benefits and uses hence why it is recommended for skin lightening and for keeping your skin hydrated.
How to use
- Add half spoonful of lemon juice, one spoonful of baking soda, four drops of tea tree oil, and a half spoonful of coconut oil.
- Mix thoroughly until it is smooth.
- Apply on the desired part and leave for 3 – 4 minutes.
- rinse off with cold water.
7. Coconut Oil, Sea Salt And Citrus Essential Oil
The 3 ingredient combination is great for exfoliating your skin. This locks in moisture while getting rid of dry skin and if you have extremely dry skin, you might want to try upping the oil a bit.
How to use
- Pour one cup of sea salt in an empty glass container
- Add 1/2 cup of coconut oil to 7 drops of grapefruit essential oil or any citrus essential oil and pour this into the container
- Stir the mixture until they are all combined
- Use scrub sparingly, about once or twice a week.
There are so many ways to make use of coconut oil for skin lightening. If you have oily skin, you may have to apply your coconut oil mix on the spot first before using it generally. This is because coconut oil tends to clog your pores.