Is Mayonnaise Good For Your Hair? Yes, it is. The healthy properties of mayonnaise promote hair growth and reverse damages. It could be of great benefit to curly and wavy hair types. Mayonnaise doesn’t just make a great addition to your sandwich alone but can also be used as a hair mask to strengthen your hair from root to tip.
When it comes to hair care, there is no end to the number of things you can apply. While some things are pleasant and easy to use, some seem unbelievable and gross when you even think about them. One of the unbelievable things to use for the hair is mayonnaise.
While this seems like a discovery to many, the use of mayonnaise for the hair is not a new treatment, it has been known and used for many years back. There have been various claims about what mayonnaise can do for the hair, however, are all these true? In this article, we will find out what makes mayonnaise the right treatment for your hair.
Mayonnaise For Hair Explained
Mayonnaise consists of soybeans oil, egg yolk, vinegar, and lemon juice, it is regarded as many to be major oil. Because of these natural products that make up mayonnaise, it is considered ideal for the hair. Over the years, mayonnaise was projected as the right hair treatment for people with curly and wavy hair, however, this is not true. Mayonnaise is ideal and benefits all types of hair.
Is Mayonnaise Good For Your Hair?
If your goal is to get smoother, softer and shinier hair then yes mayonnaise is good for your hair. It obviously sounds strange to put mayonnaise in your hair but it contains egg yolks and these are very good for hair. Mayonnaise contains plenty of amino acids including collagen and protein and it might just be the perfect deep conditioning treatment to help soften up your curls and get them to form well-defined ringlets.
The condiment is definitely packed with many beneficial ingredients such as egg yolks which is loaded with amino acids for promoting hair growth. They also carry vitamins A, E, D, biotin, folate and fatty acids which are all essential ingredients for healthy hair. Mayonnaise contains ingredients that nourish the hair and scalp with moisture and helping to stimulate new cell growth.
What Are The Benefits Of Using Mayonnaise For Your Hair?
1. Mayonnaise May Help With Hair Growth
Mayonnaise can make the hair grow. Mayonnaise consist of a major amino acid, that is important in building keratin – the protein responsible for making hair grow. Asides from L-cysteine, mayonnaise also consists of other nutrients that are important to hair growth.
2. Balanced pH
Vinegar is one of the ingredients that make up mayonnaise, vinegar helps in balancing the scalp’s pH level, which in turn controls oil production.
3. Adds Moisture
Mayonnaise is oil, its primary ingredient is soybeans oil or canola oil, alongside other products. Applying mayonnaise to your hair can make it oilier. egg, which is one of the ingredients of mayonnaise contains vitamin, biotin, and fatty acids that can add and seal in moisture. This is why it is projected as the perfect treatment for wavy and curly hair because they lack natural oil.
4. Mayonnaise For Lice treatment
There have been claims that applying mayonnaise to the hair, is a good way to get rid of lice from the head, although there are no scientific backings to this claim, there have been people who testify to this. Also, mayonnaise may not be able to fully kill the lice. The vinegar in mayonnaise also has anti-inflammatory and antibacterial properties, which helps them get rid of dandruff.
Due to some of the ingredients in mayonnaise, it can prevent hair breakage, conditions the hair, and improve overall hair health.
How To Use Mayonnaise For Your Hair
Here are some simple hacks to use mayonnaise for your hair at home.
1. Mayonnaise And Egg Hair mask
We are aware that mayonnaise has an egg inside of it, however, additional eggs won’t hurt. Egg contains proteins and biotin with both nourish the hair, reduce hair breakage and improve hair elasticity. This mask can be done and used once or twice a week.
- 4 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 2 eggs
Mayonnaise and egg hair mask: How to use
- Mix eggs and mayonnaise in a bowl until it becomes smooth.
- Apply this mixture to your hair, from the roots to the ends.
- Dip your towel in a hot water, squeeze it out and wrap your hair with it.
- Leave it on for 15- 20 minutes and wash it off with a mild shampoo.
2. Only Mayonnaise
Only mayonnaise: How to use
- Dampen your hair and apply mayonnaise generously, from the scalp to the ends.
- Make sure the mayonnaise is well massaged into the hair
- Leave it on for about 20 minutes
- Wash your hair with a mild shampoo that cleanses the hair properly.
3. Mayonnaise And Honey Hair Mask
Honey has antifungal, antibacterial, and antioxidant properties, adding honey to your mayonnaise makes your hair and scalp healthy, it also helps seal in the moisture into your hair.
- 2 tablespoons of honey
- ½ cup of mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
Mayonnaise and honey hair mask: How to use
- Mix these three into a bowl until it is smooth.
- Apply generously to your hair from the roots, to the ends.
- Dip your towel into hot water and squeeze it out.
- Wrap the hair with this towel and leave it on for 30 – 40 minutes.
- Wash it off with a mild shampoo.
4. Mayonnaise And Coconut Oil Hair Mask
Coconut oil can penetrate the hair strands. It also moisturizes and keeps it locked in.
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- 2 tablespoon of mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
Mayonnaise and coconut oil hair mask: How to use
- Mix all three ingredients into a bowl, until it is smooth.
- Apply to your hair, from the ends to the root.
- Leave hair on for about 30 minutes.
- When the time is up, wash it off with a mild shampoo.
5. Mayonnaise And Banana Hair Mask
Banana contains nutrients that can prevent hair from breakage, hair loss and makes it shinier.
- 2 tablespoon mayonnaise
- 2 ripe banana
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
Mayonnaise and banana hair mask: How to use
- Mash the banana, add olive oil and mayonnaise, and mix well until it is smooth.
- Apply the mixture into your hair, covering every part.
- Dip your towel into hot water and squeeze it out, then cover your hair with the towel.
- Leave on for 30 – 45 minutes and wash off with a mild shampoo.
The most unnoticed item, is sometimes what we need to get our desired results. You do not have to make use of chemical products or break the bank to get smooth, shiny, and healthy hair. You can also use the hair mask recipe provided here, once a week. when you begin to apply too much, it can result in another hair issue.