If you have natural curls, chances are that your hair has gone through things that are not beneficial for it; through heat styling, chemicals, etc. all of these can cause your curl to become dry, look dull and lose its moisture.
Coconut oil is one of the most beneficial oil there is, for your hair. It is rich in natural fatty acids that have anti-bacterial and anti-inflammatory properties. If you have natural curls, then coconut oil has so many nutrients that your hair will enjoy. Coconut oil can penetrate your hair and not sit on the surface, unlike some other oil.
It heals protein loss, adds moisture to your hair, and increases shine.
If you notice your natural curls are starting to feel dry and look dull, then it is time to give your hair a break from all other products and allow it to benefit from the goodness of coconut oil.
Simple Ways To Use Coconut Oil For Curls
Before you begin to use coconut oil for your hair, you must know your hair type. Knowing your hair type will help you know the right amount of coconut oil that is suitable for your hair. i.e. if your hair is dry or coarse, you only need a little amount of coconut oil or you may experience hair loss if it is in excess.
Also, regardless of your hair type, you should not add excessive oil to your hair, it is unnecessary and it may lead to damages to your hair.
Coconut oil works great as a pre-wash conditioner, also known as pre-poo. This is best done before you shampoo your hair and can be left on overnight.
How to use
- If your coconut oil is in solid form, scoop out the one you need and warm it with low heat.
- Begin by using your fingers to apply the oil to your scalp and gently massage until your scalp has fully absorbed the oil.
- Apply the oil to your hair in sections. Make sure to apply till the tip of your hair.
- Wrap your hair with a scarf or an old t-shirt to avoid getting your bed messy while you sleep.
- The next morning, shampoo your hair with a mild shampoo, condition, and style it.
2. Deep Conditioning
Coconut oil is great for deep conditioning. For curly hair, it moisturizes the hair scalp and gives your curls a healthy shine.
How to use
- wash your hair with a mild shampoo and let it dry.
- Pour some oil into a bowl and use your fingertip to apply it to your hair, from the root to the tip.
- Wrap your hair with a hair towel and leave it for 20 – 30 minutes.
- Shampoo your hair and let it dry.
3. Dandruff Prevention
Everyone has one time or another battled with dandruff in their hair. Coconut oil is effective for removing dandruff from your curly hair.
How to use
- Wash your hair with a mild shampoo and conditioner, before bedtime.
- If your coconut oil is solid, then warm it and apply it to your scalp and hair strands and cover it with a shower cap.
- Remove the shower cap when you wake up and rinse off with cold water.
4. Hair Growth
If you are unsure of what to use to make your curly hair grow fast, then you need to use coconut oil. It is filled with vitamins and fatty acids that are great for hair growth.
How to use
- Wash hair with shampoo before bedtime.
- Mix coconut oil with avocado oil, vitamin E oil, and olive oil (extra virgin)
- Apply to your hair and cover with a shower cap
- Leave it on overnight and rinse it off in the morning with a mild shampoo and conditioner.
How long should you leave coconut oil in curly hair?
Allow coconut oil to sit on your curly hair for as long as 20 to 330 minutes after application. If your hair is dry or lacks enough moisture, you can leave it on longer. For best result, use coconut oil as a leave-in conditioner overnight.
Can coconut oil bring back curls?
Coconut oil is an all natural wonder to curls and applying it to your hair can make it stronger and vibrant. Coconut oils penetrates deep into the hair shaft rather than sit on the surface of your scalp and when applied to curls, it can help reactivate it’s bounce.
Do you put coconut oil on wet or dry hair?
Coconut oil is best used on dry hair although it works perfectly with wet hair as well. Applying coconut oil to dry hair before washing it reduces the amount of water absorbed by the hair shaft.
Is olive oil good for natural curly hair?
Yes, olive oil for naturally curly hair is just as effective as coconut oil. Olive oil penetrates the hair cuticles so that moisture and nutrients are absorbed thereby leaving your naturally curly hair smoother, shinier and softer.
Does coconut oil dry out curly hair?
Coconut oil is a heavier oil hence too much of it is sure to weigh your curly hair down. It is vital to know your hair porosity before using coconut oil as dry or coarse hair will reject coconut oil.
For people with naturally curly hair, coconut oil is one of the natural oils you will benefit from. It contains nutrients that are great for hair growth and care. Before applying coconut oil to your hair, find out your hair type.
This will save you from the damages of excess coconut oil, and the stress of trying to get excess coconut oil out of your hair.