Imagine waking up to find one or some of your hair strands grey! You’re freaking out already, right? Grey hair can cause a lot of anxiety in one especially if you are a young person.
Almost immediately, you’re already looking to buy a hair colorant or checking on the internet for what to use to change your hair color back.
A lot of people swear by the use of coconut oil and lemon juice to change the colour of your hair, but does it work? Before we go to the use of coconut oil and lemon juice for grey hair, it is important to know what grey hair is and the causes of grey hair.
Grey Hair Explained
The hormone in charge of giving color to the hair is melanin. However, when the melanocyte production slows down, the hair begins to lose its color and turns white or grey.
Because grey hair isn’t restricted to people of old age, it is hereby sure that there are a lot of causes of grey hair.
Causes Of Grey Hair
Here’s a few likely causes of grey hair you should know.
1. Unbalanced Diet
An Unbalanced diet can result in a lot of harm in the body, and it affects how the body reacts to a lot of illnesses that negatively affect the hair, skin, etc. An unbalanced diet can affect the healthiness of the hair.
An important vitamin that contributed to the pigmentation of hair is vitamin B12. If the body is deprived of vitamin B12, hair begins to turn grey in no time. Food like soybeans, oysters, beef liver, salmon is a great source of vitamin B12. It is important to eat food that is rich in other vitamins too; vitamin A, C, and E
2. Chemical hair products
Some of the hair products used are filled with chemicals that are harmful to the hair, an example is hydrogen peroxide. Some greying as a result of the build-up of hydrogen peroxide in the hair.
A reduction in the use of chemical products and the use of natural products is best for the hair.
For a lot of people, greying happens as a result of what’s common to their family; that is genetics.
4. Aging is very well known
This is the most common cause of grey hair. As a person grows older, the melanocyte production begins to slow down, and as this happens, the hair begins to turn grey.
Another important factor is that grey hair may be an indication of an underlying illness in a person.
Does coconut oil and lemon juice work for grey hair? Regardless of the causes?
There is no proven fact that coconut oil and lemon juice can work for grey hair, although the mix is known to be good for hair growth, it is not certain that it can work for grey hair, an important reason is that grey hair can be caused by a lot of reasons.
If it is caused by an Unbalanced diet, underlying illness, genetics, or old age, the coconut oil, and lemon juice mix may not work.
Benefits of coconut oil and lemon for hair.
- Lemon juice is very rich in vitamin C. The vitamin C is known as an antioxidant, it helps protect the hair from harm caused by free radicals. Vitamin C is also known to boost the production of collagen in the body and this helps to improve hair growth.
- Coconut oil and lemon juice mix can both act as a conditioner. The fatty acid in coconut oil helps retain the nutrients which will, in turn, give strength to the hair and prevent split ends, hair breakage, or hair loss. The hair mix can also reduce dandruff on the scalp.
- The coconut oil and lemon juice mix work well as a moisturizer for the hair. The hair needs moisture to grow healthy, however, if you constantly have to battle with dry hair or live in a hot climate environment, the mix helps lock moisture in your hair, allowing for healthy growth.
Can coconut oil and lemon juice work for hair repair and growth? Yes, unfortunately, it is not certain that it can work for grey hair.
How to mix the coconut oil and lemon juice for hair
You’ll need Two tablespoons of coconut oil and one tablespoon of freshly extracted lemon juice.
How to use
- Pour the lemon juice and coconut oil into a bowl and mix thoroughly
- Massage the mix on your hair and scalp at the same time.
- Leave on for 30- 60 minutes and wash off.
- Wash the hair with a mild shampoo or just conditioner
- Repeat routine at least once a week
Finally, it is important to ask questions before trying out any solution either for your hair or skin. Also, it is best to discuss with your health practitioner to determine what may be the cause of your hair turning grey before using any hair mix for it.