Table of Contents Show
- What Is Dry Shampoo?
- How Does Dry Shampoo Work?
- What Benefit Does Dry Shampoo Give The Hair?
- Is Dry Shampoo Bad For Your Hair?
- Dry Shampoo Use FAQ
- Is It better To Use Dry Shampoo The Night Before?
- How Often Should You Dry Shampoo?
- Should I Put Dry Shampoo In My Hair Before Or After I Straighten It?
- Can you put dry shampoo in freshly dyed hair?
- Why is my hair still greasy after dry shampoo?
- Does dry shampoo really clean your hair?
- Is Dry Shampoo better than washing hair everyday?
Is dry shampoo bad for your hair? Dry shampoo is not a bad product; however, it only worsens and damages the hair when used often.
We know that with all the activities going on in your life, it can be hard to follow through with some of your hair/beauty routines. Good thing is, over the years, there have been products that have tried to make this hair thing easy for us. These products have helped us bridge the gap between our activities and the hair care routine. One of such products is dry shampoo.
A good number of us are familiar with what dry shampoo is and you probably use it: Good for you! however, lately, we’ve been hearing few things about dry shampoo. We know these things can be confusing, so we’ll be helping you clear your doubts. If you do not know what dry shampoo is, we will be helping out with that too and how you can use it properly!
What Is Dry Shampoo?
Dry shampoo is a spray-in product that gives a water-free option for cleansing your hair. They usually come in powder or paste, they also come in different shades, you can purchase a dry shampoo that matches your hair color, most dry shampoo comes with fragrance, so it leaves your hair smelling nice, even after washing.
How Does Dry Shampoo Work?
The alcohol or starch in the dry shampoo absorbs the excess oil and sebum from your hair, starting from the roots. this makes the hair look clean and fresh. Dry shampoo is an ideal option for you if you will be traveling or in a place where you may not access water or have your bath.
What Benefit Does Dry Shampoo Give The Hair?
- Eliminate Odor: Your hair may not look or feel dirty; however, it may have some odor that is not pleasant to perceive. Dry shampoo comes with fragrance and this helps get rid of whatever smells and replace it with a fresh smell.
- Absorb Oil: The main purpose of dry shampoo is to get rid of excess oil that the scalp has produced. Dry shampoo reduces the appearance of oil on the hair and how dirty it looks.
- Saves Time: Let’s be honest, washing the hair takes a lot of time, and if you have a lot to do, you either postpone till forever or risk skipping one of your activities. Dry shampoo allows you to save time and still get your hair clean.
- Adds Volume: A lot of people who use dry shampoo have testified to how much volume it adds to their hair. This is because the starch or alcohol ingredients cover the hair and adds texture.
Is Dry Shampoo Bad For Your Hair?
The truth is, although the dry shampoo gets rid of the oil on the surface, it doesn’t thoroughly clean the hair. Hence, the dry shampoo should not be used often and for a long time.
Many people do not know this and may tend to continue to use dry shampoo as a replacement for washing the hair due to how convenient it is. Overusing dry shampoo can lead to an itchy, flaky, and irritable scalp. Using dry shampoo can also reduce hair growth.
When the powder mixes with the oil from your hair, it forms a paste-like mixture and that sticks to the scalp and this can block the hair follicles, which obstruct hair growth.
Does this mean dry shampoo is totally bad for your hair? No! using dry shampoo for your hair once in a while is not bad. What causes damage to your hair is the frequent use of dry shampoo.
Dry Shampoo Use FAQ
Is It better To Use Dry Shampoo The Night Before?
Yes! it is best to dry shampoo your hair the night before, especially if you have to leave home early. Applying the shampoo, the night before allows it to absorb the oil in your hair while you sleep. By morning, you only have to touch up and style your hair.
How Often Should You Dry Shampoo?
To prevent dry shampoo from causing harm to your hair, it is advisable to use it not more than 2 days in a row.
Should I Put Dry Shampoo In My Hair Before Or After I Straighten It?
It is best to put dry shampoo in your hair after straightening your hair, regardless of the method you are using for the hair. Dry shampoo can damage the whole process of straightening, hence it is best to wait until you’re done.
Can you put dry shampoo in freshly dyed hair?
You can apply dry shampoo to freshly dyed hair as it allows you to wash your hair less often. Dry shampoo is best for colored hair because it won’t fade nor ruin the color then your hair will keep the same intensity for long.
Why is my hair still greasy after dry shampoo?
Does dry shampoo really clean your hair?
Dry shampoo doesn’t exactly cleanse your hair and it won’t work as a replacement for washing your hair. In fact, using it too often can only cause itchy hair and scalp.
Is Dry Shampoo better than washing hair everyday?
Dry shampoo is often a better option compared to washing your hair every day particularly for people with fine hair. However dry shampoo won’t remove dirt and it’s mostly preferred to wash your hair once or twice a month.
Dry shampoo comes in a different form, so you can choose which one you want; spray or powder. The ingredient that makes us a brand’s shampoo differs from another, however, they all possess absorbent ingredients like starch, alcohol, to properly soak excess oil from your scalp.