Table of Contents Show
- Causes Of Facial Saggy/Loose Skin
- 6 Ways to Tighten Facial Skin
- Types of Facial Skin
- Tips to Prevent Loose Facial Skin
- Frequently Asked Questions
Saggy facial skin is a big source of concern for many people, especially when it is age-related. Many factors can cause the skin to look saggy, skin aging being the most common reason.
Also, there are five facial skin types, but they all require the same treatment when it comes to tightening the skin. However, facial skin can be tightened naturally or through cosmetic procedures.
Usually, minimal facial saggy skin should tighten itself or go away as soon as you lose weight. However, if the skin has been stretched for too long or the skin is losing collagen, toning exercises or plastic surgery might be needed to tighten it.
Aging, especially on the face, can have emotional and social implications, and many tend to immediately seek different ways of fixing this; however, it is vital that you choose a method that works for your skin and does not cause further damage.
Most people start to experience loose or sagging skin between the ages of 35 and 40 but note that some internal or external factors can affect the key molecules that should keep the skin firm and hydrated.
You must first understand your facial skin if you tighten loose or saggy skin. Hence, in this article, we will discuss the causes of saggy skin, types of facial skin, and how to tighten facial skin.
Causes Of Facial Saggy/Loose Skin
As we age, saggy/loose skin might seem inevitable, and some factors might contribute to that as well. Pay attention to how your skin reacts is important, as this will quickly reveal why you have saggy skin.
Sagging is common as people age, and the face is not exempted. Also, note that people with a significant amount of weight are susceptible to it as well. Below are the causes of saggy skin.
- Sun exposure
- Weight loss
- Drinking alcohol
- Skin products or detergents that contain harsh ingredients.
Skin starts to sag when it stretches too far and can’t snap back into place. Common areas you can experience sagging include the face, neck, arms, stomach, chin, jowl, eyelids, upper arms, and throat.
6 Ways to Tighten Facial Skin
Whether loose skin is caused by aging, sun exposure, skin products, or massive weight loss, we want to tighten it up. Facial sagging skin can range from slight to significant hence the treatment can vary. however, here are popular techniques that can be used to tighten sagging skin.
Exercise is the first and most popular method to consider when it comes to tightening facial skin. But note that there are special exercises that target restoring the skin’s elasticity.
Saggy skin caused by pregnancy or moderate weight loss can easily be tightened with exercises that build body mass.
- Pilates: This type of workout uses controlled movement to tighten and strengthen the body’s arms, glutes, legs, and core
- Facial exercise: This will work the muscle around your face and neck. They can help reverse signs of aging.
- Endurance exercise: This can lessen the effect of aging on the skin. It involves working with machines, weights, or resistance bands to increase muscle mass.
2. Creams And Lotions
Some over-the-counter creams and lotions can be used to tighten loose skin on your face.
You must be careful what product you use on your face; hence you should do a patch test to see if your skin reacts to it first. Here are creams and lotions that work for tightening facial skin.
- Hyaluronic Acid: This has water-binding properties, so it can help keep your skin hydrated, strengthen your skin and reduce the appearance of wrinkles
- Vitamin C: This is a popular facial treatment; creams and lotions containing vitamin C can help improve skin elasticity.
- Lactic Acid or Glycol Acid: This is meant to remove the top layer of the skin and reveal fresh new smooth skin underneath.
- Retinol: This can tighten your skin by increasing the production of collagen.
3. Face Mask
For subtle facial sagging, you can restore it and minimize the appearance of wrinkles with face masks. Face masks can hydrate the skin and promote the production of collagen. Look for face masks with anti-aging properties.
4. Home Remedies
The next technique that has proven effective over the years for tightening those wrinkles include natural home remedies. The secret to glowing, tight skin might be in your pantry.
Studies show that natural remedies such as honey and citrus juice contain antioxidants that can rejuvenate loose skin. Below are kitchen ingredients that can tighten your skin.
- Citrus juice
- Coconut oil.
5. Cosmetic Procedures
Cosmetic procedures can also be referred to as in-office procedures and can be effective against subtle and significant facial sagging. Cosmetic procedures tend to offer a lasting solution for sagging skin.
Here are common cosmetic procedures to know about.
- Chemical peels: This involves removing the damaged top layer of your skin, this is often used on the face. There are light, medium, and deep chemical peels, so the result is based on which type you are getting.
- Ultrasound: The ultrasound skin tightening technique is new to the dermatological practice; it works for heavy-duty facial lifting.
- Laser resurfacing: Ablative and non-ablative laser resurfacing or laser peeling is an effective procedure for smoothing and rejuvenating your skin.
Get more information on cosmetic procedures from the official NHS Website.
6. Surgical Procedures
The surgical procedure is broader than the cosmetic one. The surgical tends to encompass both cosmetic procedures and the reconstructive procedure.
The term surgical is often used interchangeably with cosmetic procedures, but they are not the same. Below are two common surgical procedures for facial tightening.
- Face Lifting: Face lifting is a surgical procedure often done to repair severe wrinkling and sagging face. It is effective for treating loose skin, scarring, change in color, and fluid/blood that collects under the skin.
- Botox: This usually works during the first stage of aging. Botox is injected into the skin to firm and rejuvenate it.
Types of Facial Skin
You can tighten loose skin in several ways, but first, you need to learn your skin type, as some facial treatments work differently on each skin type.
Skin types may also be classified based on pigmentation; however, you can carry out a routine assessment to decide your skin type. Below are the types of facial skin and their characteristics.
1. Oily Skin
Oily skin happens when the sebaceous glands in the skin are in excess. Oily skin has a humid, porous, and bright appearance. This facial skin is common in adolescents, and reasons for this include stress, fluctuating hormones, or genetics.
2. Dry Skin
Dry skin can often be a lifelong skin condition for some people. It is caused by external factors such as harsh soaps, weather, low air humidity, and immersion in hot water. Crack skin is a condition common with dry skin.
3. Sensitive Skin
Sensitive skin is more prone to inflammation hence it is very fragile skin. Sensitive skin is a very delicate skin type, so microorganisms can easily get access to it.
4. Combination Skin
Combination skin as the name implied is having oily skin in some areas of your skin and dry skin in other areas.
5. Normal Skin
Normal skin is not too oily, not too dry, or sensitive either; this facial skin type has no imperfections, it has regular texture, it’s clean, and there are no skin conditions to worry about.
Tips to Prevent Loose Facial Skin
Loose or sagging skin in old age is something considered unavoidable, however, with some preventive measures in place, you can keep your facial skin from getting stressed out.
Find out more tips on maintaining your skin’s youthful appearance and preventing wrinkles.
- Massage your whole face regularly; there are facial exercises for this
- Drink enough water to maintain moisture levels of your skin
- Use appropriate moisturizer to hydrate and keep your facial skin smooth
- Moisturize the skin under your jaw
- Eating a healthy diet
- It is best to avoid smoking and heavy alcohol intake
- Make sunscreen your best friend!
Frequently Asked Questions
Do home remedies give permanent skin tightening?
No scientific research supports the claim that home remedies give you permanent skin tightening or even have any effect on your skin. But note that it has no side effects, so if you do see results, you can keep using it.
Can face sagging be reversed?
Facial sagging can be slowly reduced with some procedures such as facelift, neck lift, or laser resurfacing however aging process can’t be reversed.
How can I lift my saggy face without surgery?
One common non-surgical way to lift a saggy face without surgery is through ultrasound. Ultrasound is classified as a cosmetic procedure, and it has an excellent safety profile. It is used to prevent skin laxity as people age.
Does facial droop go away?
Facial droop often gets better unless caused by a serious problem such as a stroke. Then, you should see a doctor.
Saggy skin is an age-related common concern for many people, and although it is not harmful, the appearance is not loved by anyone either.
If you have saggy skin not responding to at-home treatment, we advise you to see a dermatologist.
In addition, creams and surgical options for tightening facial skin are effective, but a non-surgical method is recommended as this will cause less damage to your skin.