Bleaching hair allows you experience what it feels like to have a different color of hair than your natural hair, without making use of extensions. However, bleach strips your hair of its natural oils and protein, if you have ever bleached your hair, then you will agree with us that bleaching your hair leaves it dry, brittle, and cause a lot of other damages to your hair strands.
While it may look like the next thing to remediate these damages is to get more products, that decision may not be a wise one. This is because most products are also filled with chemicals that may be damaging to our hair or scalp. What then do you use?
Natural oils are filled with nutrients that help remediate damages caused by free radicals or chemicals. Coconut oil is one of such oils that are filled with essential nutrients required to correct damages in hair and to cause hair growth.
Does this mean you can put coconut oil on your bleached hair? Yes! coconut oil is one of the few oils known to penetrate the hair strands, this means that this oil can nourish and fix the damages caused by bleach. Before you purchase just any coconut oil you see in the market.
Is Coconut Oil Good For My Bleached Hair?
Yes, you can definitely use coconut oil on bleached hair. Coconut oil is a lighter oil that won’t make your hair feel greasy rather it leaves your bleached hair feeling super soft and looking healthy. You can use coconut oil once a week to help reconstruct your hair strand and help it regain some of its lost protein.
Tips On How To Use Coconut Oil On Bleached Hair
You must know that there are different types of coconut oil and only the extra virgin oil is suitable and effective for hair growth and treatment. Here are ways to put coconut oil on bleached hair.
- Take some coconut oil and generously apply it to your hair strands, then put on a shower cap through the night, so the oil can penetrate through your hair.
- The next morning, wash with a mild shampoo and use a conditioner also. Continue to repeat the process every week until your hair is healthy again. You should also start this treatment from the second week after bleaching your hair.
- If your oil is solid, scoop the amount you think should be enough for your hair and melt it with low heat. Once your oil is cool enough, apply it generously to your hair and scalp. You can make use of a detangling brush to gently distribute it evenly from the tip to the roots. cover it with an elastic or an old hat and let it sit for 30 minutes.
- Wash off with a mild shampoo and a hydrating conditioner, this way, you can be sure to retain some moisture in your hair. Let your hair dry and apply a leave-in conditioner to keep the treatments locked in.
- Rub coconut oil on your palm, then apply it to the dry spots you’ve noticed. You can also rub it on your hair ends.
To get the best results out of coconut oil for your hair, you may want to consider getting a coconut oil treatment before getting your hair bleached. This way, the coconut oil stays locked into your hair and reduces the effects of the bleach on your hair. Either way, coconut oil leaves your hair healthier and shinier. Also, this is not to say all hair products are bad, however best to reduce the use of products with chemicals.