Table of Contents Show
- Essential Oils For Eczema: Do They Work?
- 10 Best Essential Oils For Eczema
- Frequently Asked Questions
Essential oils for eczema, do they work? Most essential oils have been around for years, and apart from them providing a pleasant smell to environments, they can also improve health and mood. Some common essential oils come from Ancient India, Egypt, and Persia.
Since essential oils are concentrated plant extracts, they contain antioxidants, antimicrobial and antifungal. These superb properties are why some essential oils are valid for easing severe eczema.
Causes of eczema can be linked to allergens or environmental factors such as cold, dry weather, and dampness, and it can easily be gotten from other things like pet fur, dust mites, pollen, and molds. Eczema can affect people of all ages and ethnicity, although there are treatments available, there is no 100% cure for eliminating the symptoms.
Eczema is quite an annoying condition; it causes your skin to become dry, itchy, and bumpy. It’s a skin condition often associated with dry skin, and essential oils are becoming increasingly popular as a complementary therapy. The numerous benefits of essential oils have been rediscovered, so stick around to learn about the best ones to use for significant relief of eczema.
Essential Oils For Eczema: Do They Work?
Eczema is a common skin condition that affects more than 10% of people in the United States, but it’s not contagious. Eczema has no cure, but there are lots of treatments available to help you manage the symptoms and this also means that it can go away and come back unexpectedly.
Fortunately, there are lots of treatments effective in reducing itching and dry skin, essential oils happen to be the most common ones among them especially when you need to prevent flares.
Each essential oil has different benefits and their combination can provide significant relief from symptoms of eczema and other ailments. A range of essential oils have been discovered to contain various degrees of antimicrobial and antioxidant properties and not only can they work in reducing symptoms of eczema, but below are some of their great benefits.
- Reduces anxiety, stress, and pain
- Reduces inflammation
- Treats fungal infection
- Essential oils can help you sleep
- Relieve headache
- It kills bacteria and viruses
- Skin nourishment
- Healthy hair
- Boost immunity
- Supports digestion.
10 Best Essential Oils For Eczema
It does take lots of plant material to make essential oils which is why some of them are expensive, but with the numerous benefits they provide, they are worth investing in. Essential oils are potent botanicals; they can help you get rid of the itching, burning, and dry skin associated with eczema. So, here are 10 of the best essential oils for eczema.
Eve Hansen Organic Tea Tree Oil (4oz)
- Highest Quality Pure Tea Tree Oil – Each batch is rigorously GC/MS tested for purity and potency to ensure you are receiving the highest-grade oil available
- Naturally Fresh – Safe and effective all-purpose essential oil ideal for DIY home use in natural cleaners, aromatherapy or add to shampoo, lotion and soap
- Great for the Scalp – Tee Tree Oil may also help to reduce the appearance of dandruff and flakes
- Great for Nails – Dilute tea tree oil in carrier oils products to cleanse cuticles, hands and feet and restore hair moisture
- Discover Beauty The Natural Way – Natural and Organic Ingredients. Vegan. Cruelty-free. Made in USA.
This is a pure organic tea tree oil, so you can decide if you will mix it with other natural ingredients, essential oils, or carrier oil.
Tea tree oil is a popular essential oil known for containing over 100 terpenes, making it an effective essential oil for alleviating irritation, fighting inflammation, fighting off dandruff, and many more.
Tea tree oil is also known as melaleuca oil, it is made from steaming the leaves of the Australian tea tree, so it does possess antibacterial, antifungal, and anti-oxidant. The properties of tea tree oil make it an excellent oil for preventing allergens and eczema symptoms from flaring up or worsening.
Handcraft Rosemary Essential Oil
- 100% PURE & NATURAL ROSEMARY OIL – Handcraft Blends oils are exactly that! Many oils being sold make that claim but are in fact made of natural isolates and mixtures. Each essential oil is tested by an independent lab, so every bottle comes with a Quality Guaranty.
- PREMIUM THERAPEUTIC GRADE & PREMIUM QUALITY – All Handcraft Blends An independent lab tests essential Oils to test the efficacy of each oil. Each oil is tested for its constituents as well as to have no fillers, additives and to be undiluted.
- HIGH QUALITY GLASS BOTTLE AND DROPPER – Our essential oil comes in an amber glass bottle to keep out UV rays and protect the oil against sunlight. We also provide a glass dropper, so you get the exact amount of oil without any waste.
- ROSEMARY OIL FOR HAIR GROWTH – Rosemary essential oil is a natural hair growth oil for healthy hair growth and dry scalp treatment. Rosemary oil is soothing on the scalp and a perfect hair oil for dry damaged hair.
You can benefit greatly from massaging rosemary oil daily on the affected area. Rosemary essential oil is known to have anti-inflammatory properties that can help kill the fungi, viruses, and bacteria on the skin, it can be combined with other properties that will, in turn, rejuvenate your skin.
Rosemary essential oil will not only relieve eczema symptoms, but it can also prevent any future occurrence. It can help decrease swelling of your skin when it’s irritated due to its profound antioxidant properties. Everyone really should have rosemary oil handy and Handcraft Rosemary essential oil is highly recommended.
Gya Labs Roman Chamomile Essential Oil
- ENHANCES REST & RELAXATION. Roman chamomile essential oil is used in aromatherapy to soothe the senses for deeper and more peaceful nights. Diffuse 1-2 drops of chamomile oil in a diffuser for 30 minutes before bed.
- ADDS MOISTURE TO DRY SKIN. Roman chamomile oil for face deeply nourishes dry and dull complexions with ample hydration for soft, supple skin. Just add 2-3 drops of roman chamomile oil for skin to skincare regimens for flawless skin.
- VERSATILE FOR DIY. Roman chamomile essential oils add depth and complexity to DIY products with its herbaceous fragrance. Use chamolmile oil in soap making or room sprays to uplift self-care routines.
- BLENDS PERFECTLY WITH OTHER OILS. The soothing scent of roman chamomile blends wonderfully with other oils such as lavender and clary sage for added relaxation. Diffuse 2 drops each to refresh spaces.
Chamomile is a powerful anti-inflammatory essential oil treatment for dermatitis.
Studies have found that this essential oil can penetrate deep into the layers of a person’s skin offering healing and soothing irritation. Chamomile is an essential oil that has been used for various skin conditions over the years, it can boost the immune system, heal wounds, or aid in digestion.
There are lots of benefits to be derived from using chamomile essential oil, it has antidepressant properties and the mesmerizing sweet aroma can help you get a good sleep and stay relaxed. It should be diluted and used on the skin as a cream to get rid of any atopic eczema symptoms.
MAJESTIC PURE Frankincense Essential Oil
- 100% Pure and Natural: Majestic Pure essential oils are 100% pure and natural, therapeutic grade oils. This means they are free from toxins, additives, or any nasty chemicals. Completely unfiltered and undiluted for the best result
- Helps Prevent Moisture-Loss: Majestic Pure Frankincense Essential Oil promotes vital-looking skin and can be used for topical applications by first diluting it with a carrier oil of your choice. This oil can’t be applied on your skin on it’s own, for topical application, carefully dilute with a carrier oil first, such as Fractionated Coconut oil, Almond Oil or the oil of your preference.
- Unique Aromatherapy: The unique balmy and slightly spicy but fresh fragrance of Frankincense offers aromatherapy unlike any other. Add a few drops of it into your favourite diffuser and experience a much more peaceful and relaxing atmosphere.
Frankincense essential oil is another common oil we have on the list and while many people are not familiar with this oil, the benefits are not to be denied. This essential oil is sometimes referred to as olibanum, it is commonly used in aromatherapy, it is extracted from the resin inside the Boswellia tree and does have rejuvenating properties.
This essential oil has lots of benefits for your skin and hair. This oil can keep your hair shiny and prevent dandruff. Also, it naturally repairs damaged skin and heals wounds which makes the one of the options for eczema. It also has astringent properties and a sweet spicy scent from calming the senses.
MAJESTIC PURE Bergamot Essential Oil
- Majestic Pure bergamot oil; 100% pure and natural; packaged in the USA
- Bergamot oil has a very sweet citrus smell; used in aromatherapy
- Safety Warning: For external use only. Other than aromatherapy, dilute with a carrier oil. For topical use, rub a very small diluted amount on the inside of your elbow area to test for any allergic reaction before use. Discontinue use if any allergic reaction occurs. Keep out of the reach of pets. Avoid contact with eyes, keep out of the reach of children. If pregnant, consult with your health care provider before use.
Bergamot was initially only an ingredient used in Eau de Cologne a perfume contorted in the 18th Century by Johann Maria Farina, but it has gone ahead to being used for healing inflamed skin.
Bergamot essential oil is derived from the citrus bergamia and if you are a fan of Earl Grey tea then you have already enjoyed the distinct taste of bergamot.
This oil can easily help you balance and soothe sensitive or irritated skin due to acne, eczema, or psoriasis. Bergamot essential oil contains furanocoumarins which cause sunlight-induced irritation hence it is advised that you use it only in the evening or at night.
Pure Neroli Oil for Diffuser
- NATURAL NEROLI ESSENTIAL OIL: Neroli (Cutrus Aurantium Var.Amara) Oil
- NEROLI ESSENTIAL OIL FOR SKIN: Mix neroli oil wit moisturizer to soothe and nourish skin, or blend neroli essential oil with myrrh oil for your skin-loving formula.
- MORE WAYS TO USE NEROLI ESSENTIAL OIL: Perfect neroli oil for home and car diffusion,homemaking scented candles, soap, bath bombs, beard oil, aroma beads, perfume, body dryer or hair spray, etc. For all your crafting needs!
Natural remedies might not cure eczema, but Neroli is an essential oil that when mixed with other essential oils can relieve the occasional itchiness and skin irritation from conditions like psoriasis and eczema which are hard to get rid of. This oil can help rejuvenate your skin cell, increase elasticity, and speed up scar healing.
The healing properties of Neroli essential oil are not the only benefits, it does have a sweet spicy scent that can uplift the mood, and inhaling it can help ease PMS symptoms.
XENCARE Organic Lavender Essential Oil
- 100% Pure, unblended, undiluted, essential oil from the flowers of True Lavender
- Produced and bottled from a Health Canada approved facility. Certified Organic, non GMO, cruelty free, kosher, and vegan.
- SAFETY: For external use only. Pure and potent, this product like any other essential oil is meant to be diluted before skin use.
- USES: Lavender has a well-established tradition as a folk remedy, and its scent is still familiar to almost everyone. An excellent aromatherapeutic calming relaxant. It can also help with skin conditions such as acne, fungal infections, eczema, and psoriasis, and has rejuvenating properties for skin and hair.
Lavender essential oil has been used throughout the century for its medicinal value. This essential oil is specifically good for people with redness caused by rosacea and skin that has been irritated by dermatitis. It can be used to reduce flakiness which is one of the common symptoms of eczema.
In addition, lavender has soothing antiseptic properties that are great for both the body and mind. It can come in really handy when itching and pain make it difficult to sleep, the complex mixture of phytochemicals activates the emotional brain thereby offering you relief from pain and anxiety.
Premium Thyme Essential Oil
- THYME ESSENTIAL OIL: 100% Pure and Natural, Steam distilled from naturally grown thyme. Has a sharp and woodsy Fragrance.
- LARGE 4 OZ BOTTLE: Amber Glass Bottle Comes with a High Quality Glass Dropper for Convenient Use.
- PURE THYME ESSENTIAL OIL: Free of any Additives and other Chemicals.
- USES: Great for Aromatherapy Use, DIY, and Much More.
Essential oils from the thyme plant contain an organic compound that can enable your skin to act as a natural defense against inflammation, swelling, pain, and infection. Just like every essential oil, thyme essential oil should not be swallowed or used undiluted on your skin, and consider if you have any reaction to it before using.
Research has shown that thyme can help suppress the enzymes that cause inflammation and irritation, so it’s highly effective against flakiness, dryness, and itching caused by eczema. It can be diluted with a carrier oil such as coconut, jojoba, or almond oil.
Artizen 4oz Oils – Rose Geranium Essential Oil
- 100% Pure & Natural Rose Geranium Essential Oil – What sets Artizen Essential Oils apart are their unparalleled purity and concentration. Natural, with no adulterants or dilution, their oils provide the maximum benefit possible and are uncompromising.
- Don’t Fall Victim To Cheap Diluted Rose Geranium Oil – Most of the competition dilute their oil with a cheap carrier oil or even other potentially dangerous chemicals. Our rose geranium oil is routinely tested for purity and other unique qualities in order to ensure you are buying the purest oil available.
Here is another essential oil with anti-inflammatory properties that may help heal some of the symptoms of eczema. Rose geranium can also be used to soothe several skin conditions and this product above is assured of being 100% pure, so it will be lots easier to dilute with your carrier oil.
Rise geranium oil is also discovered to have an uplifting scent that can help improve mental functioning, and reduce anxiety and depression.
Hyssop essential oil is another oil with varieties of benefits, it contains antimicrobial and anti-inflammatory properties that make it the ideal option for mild skin irritation. This essential oil can be used for small cuts, minor burns, and frostbite.
Also, it is widely used in aromatherapy and serves as a natural treatment for respiratory problems and skin conditions.
This essential oil is known to have antiviral, astringent, and antibacterial properties that can help kill pathogens and irritants that can enter the skin. Hyssop further contains compounds called terpenes that can boost the growth of new cells thereby repairing damaged skin.
Frequently Asked Questions
What triggers eczema?
Allergens and irritants can easily trigger eczema. Common irritants that can trigger eczema include washing up liquid, shampoo, bubble bath soap, and soaps like detergents. Allergens or environmental factors that can also trigger it are cold and dry weather, dampness, and household things like pollen, mold, pet fur, or house dust mites.
Does eczema eventually go away?
Eczema can eventually go away on its own usually when people get older or reach early adulthood. However, there are likely to still get flare-ups from time to time if they get exposed to triggers such as hot weather or stress.
Does lavender help eczema?
Lavender is one of the most common essential oils used in treating eczema. It has antifungal and anti-inflammatory properties, so it can help keep eczema at bay, cleanses your skin, and reduce redness and irritation.
What is the best carrier oil for eczema?
The best carrier oil for eczema either to mix with essential oil or use alone is sunflower oil. Sunflower is a carrier oil that is rich in Vitamins A, C, and E. This oil can help replenish lost moisture, soothe your skin and reduce inflammation.
Essential oils are topping the chart when it comes to remedies for eczema symptoms however you have to ensure these oils are properly diluted and your skin is not allergic to the one you choose. Suitable carrier oils for these essential oils include jojoba, almond, coconut, and olive oil.
Note that some essential oils might not work due to some factors like skin properties, inflammation levels, and dilution ratio so follow the brand instruction on your essential oil, dilute properly and most importantly, contact your dermatologist.
Lastly, Essential oils have been used in the treatment of eczema for centuries, but a person should always do a patch test before using them.